Friday, July 20, 2012

I'll show you my support if you'll show me yours!

Paper books or e-books? Paper books or e-books? The debate goes on and on and on. Independent bookstores are closing left and right. Newspaper offices are either closing or firing staff members at enormous rates. The Times Picayune, the oldest continuous newspaper in the country, has decided to cut back not only staff members, but how many days a week they publish! The residents of New Orleans are deeply saddened over this. Apparently the newspaper office didn't get the memo during Hurricane Katrina that not everyone in the city has access to t.v. and internet. Many people's only means of getting the news is through the newspaper. I was let go from my local newspaper a couple of years ago due to lack of budget, so I know how it feels on the other side of the spectrum.

But I digress. What now has me torn up during this whole paper or electronics debate is in my search for some mass market paperbacks, of all things. I recently started Southern writer Ace Atkins' Nick Travers series. I had gotten the first book, Crossroad Blues, from an online book swap. So, now I'm finished with this book and would like to continue reading. I, personally, like to keep series books in the same format. All of them being either paper or Kindle or Nook. I look on Barnes & Noble's website hoping that I can locate the other 3 books in the store and then use the "Pick Me Up" option to have them waiting on me in the store.  Fail. So I look on Amazon.com for the books. Only available on e-book it says. Fail. So I decide to just go to Barnes & Noble anyway, hoping that the website just didn't know what it was talking about. Customer service could only find the most recent two novels by Ace Atkins, those not being the same series I started. Ugh!

That night, my husband and I watched the movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Afterwards I decided that I would finally like to read the books. Seeing as I just had surgery on my neck to repair the nerves leading to my arms and hands, I am excited about being able to hold a book in my hands pain free. I would like to get a copy of the paper book of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...no dice unless I want to order it online. My local B&N doesn't even have the first book in mass market paperback. (I highly recommend the movie, by the way)

I support the independent book industry in full. I also enjoy my Kindle and Nook and take turns about with both e-book and paper formats. My argument is this...how can consumers effectively support independent or even chain book stores when the only things on the shelves are Fifty Shades of Gray and Twilight? I live in Shreveport, Louisiana and author Ace Atkins lives in Memphis, Tennessee. Is is such a stretch to carry his books? Why is there such a hype over The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but then you can't even find the first novel in the series except in e format? Come on people! It's a vicious cycle, I know. Publishers have to actually print the books in order for the bookstores to carry them. Seeing that so many good books are out of print, what does this say about readers in 2012? Apparently the Twilight fans outweigh the fans of classics, if you call 1998 classic (when Crossroad Blues was published).

No comments:

Post a Comment