Thursday, August 23, 2012

Blue Dog

 
Blue Dog. You can't live in the state of Louisiana without knowing who Blue Dog is. This pooch is EVERYWHERE! I'll admit that sometimes it gets tiring seeing the spectral blue puppy on signs, Blue Dog Cafe t-shirts, books, and more. A few years ago, much to the artist's chagrin, someone even made Blue Dog roadkill on a street in New Orleans. The photo even made the Times Picayune. Poor Blue Dog.

My little girl Abby LOVES Blue Dog. I've taken her to the Rodrigue gallery in the French Quarter. We visited the gazillion foot Blue Dog in Metairie with Geaux Saints written across his torso. She has Blue Dog books and has even painted me my own watercolor Blue Dog for my office.

Blue Dog is now showing up in a novel that I am formulating in its most primitive stages. In this case Blue Dog will appear in his natural form, of the loup garou.

A terrific blog post by George Rodrigue's wife Wendy tells the fascinating story of how Blue Dog came to be and where he got his name. The Beginning

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carey- Just wanted to drop by and say thank-you for this nice mention (altho the roadkill makes my skin crawl, admittedly). Also, I thought you and your daughter might get a kick out of the post attached below. George has actually never sold Blue Dog t-shirts - or any products, other than his art itself and art books, preferring not to mass produce or wholesale in any way, despite the appearance in New Orleans of "blue dogs everywhere." However, he did make a t-shirt just for me (not for sale) this year. For fun, here you go- http://www.wendyrodrigue.com/2012/02/muse-ings-from-mardi-gras-float.html

    I gave one to the gals at our favorite neighborhood restaurant, Jack Dempsey's, and it's caused quite a scene, framed on the wall.

    All best to you as a writer. I know a bit about that too! Wendy Rodrigue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy! Thanks for the comment. The t-shirt I'm thinking of is one that everyone gets as a souvenir from the Blue Dog Cafe in Lafayette. The t-shirt George made for you is awesome! What a treat!

    I think you were in the studio in the Quarter one afternoon when I brought my daughter in to see the art. She was too shy to go over and say hi.

    I do volunteer work with the Volunteers of America's adult day care center here in Shreveport and had the clients watercoloring Blue Dogs to hang as a mobile in our class room. It's still hanging up because everyone loves it so much!

    Thanks for the good wishes about my writing. I'll let you know if the novel ever makes it big!

    -Carey Weeks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carey- Of course! The Blue Dog Cafe t-shirts are great; in fact, I'm wearing one right now. However, the t-shirt does not have the dog on it -- only a stylized nose and eyes with the words. Even the restaurant's logo is a special design, purposely created by George so that it is not like his paintings. Despite misconceptions, he's extremely cautious regarding commercialization. The restaurant is a fun project and partnership for him, but he would not let them use his image as they wanted, and he makes no money on products of any kind. It is his art that is most important to him.

    I'm so sorry I missed your daughter. Please tell her to say hello next time. I love meeting folks in the gallery. Thank you for the good works at Volunteers of America. George and I are big fans of Shreveport and enjoyed especially our three years with the Red River Revel and his exhibition last year at the State Museum. We visited thousands of students in Shreveport at schools last winter and will definitely do so again.

    I look forward to following your blog-
    With kindest regards-
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete